The third death associated with marijuana edibles could not have come at a worse time for the state’s 15-month-old legal pot industry. Services are being 23-year-old from Ilford and friend ate ‘gummy’ synthetic cannabinoid from packet bought via message app, police say Law student had ordered the "Trrlli Peachie O" branded product via a cellphone messaging app.
Third Death in Colorado Linked to Marijuana Edibles
The third death associated with marijuana edibles could not have come at a worse time for the state’s 15-month-old legal pot industry. Services are being held today in Tulsa, OK, for Luke Goodman, 23, who reportedly killed himself last Saturday night in a condo at Colorado’s Keystone Ski Area, where he was staying for two weeks with his family. It will be a few weeks before toxicology reports will be returned, but Goodman’s family and friends suspect that edible marijuana was a factor in the self-inflicted gunshot death. His mother, Kim Goodman, blames her son’s death on “a complete reaction to the drugs.” Another controversy from a death linked to marijuana edibles was not what the industry needed, especially this week when it was making legislative moves to kill a regulation taking effect in 2016 calling for all marijuana-infused foods to have a distinct look. The bill to loosen the coming requirement that marijuana-infused cookies or candies be clearly identified as pot-infused did not get a single vote in the committee. The outcome was hailed as a bipartisan agreement that pot-infused food is going to look different than regular food in Colorado come 2016. It left the conservative Colorado Springs Republican who sponsored the bill to repeal the requirement, state Sen. Owen Hill, charging his colleagues with “micromanagement.” Edibles account for about 45 percent of Colorado’s newly legal pot market. Goodman and his cousin, Caleb Fowler, reportedly purchased $78 worth of marijuana products, including edibles, last Saturday afternoon. They began ingesting peach tart candies, each containing the recommended dose of 10 mg of THC, or tetrahydrocannabinol, which is the chemical responsible for most of marijuana’s psychological effects. Fowler says his cousin ate at least five of the candies and later became jittery and was talking incoherently. Goodman did not want to leave the condo with the family later in the evening and got the handgun out that the family used for protection when traveling. The two other Colorado deaths associated with pot-infused foods were:
Woman dies in east London after eating ‘cannabis sweet’
A woman has died in east London after eating a suspected “cannabis sweet”.
The 23-year-old from Ilford bought the “gummies” via a messaging app on her phone and they were delivered to her home in Ilford on 29 March, the Metropolitan police said. The sweets came in packaging branded “Trrlli Peachie O’s”.
The woman and her 21-year-old friend ate one each and immediately became ill. Paramedics were called to the house on the same night, and the two women were taken to hospital.
Despite treatment the 23-year-old, who has not yet been named, died on 2 April. A postmortem is still to take place. Her friend has been discharged from hospital.
Leon Brown, 37, from Croydon, has been charged with possession with intent to supply a class B synthetic cannabidoid, being concerned in the supply of a synthetic cannabinoid and possession with intent to supply a psychoactive substance. He was arrested on Friday in connection with the death.
Scotland Yard said he was found in possession of a large quantity of money and what were believed to be edible cannabis products. He was to appear at Barkingside magistrates court on Monday.
Some of the sweets have been recovered and are now being tested. Officers believe the case could be linked to another incident in March in which a woman was taken to hospital after eating a cannabis sweet in nearby Tower Hamlets.
She has since been discharged, but an investigation is under way to find out whether the sweet was from the same batch involved in the Ilford death, and to examine whether there are any other similar incidents.
Ch Supt Stuart Bell said: “I must warn the public against taking any illegal substances, including those packaged in the form of cannabis sweets.”
He urged people to come forward with any information about people selling similar products.
Parents have previously been warned about sweets laced with cannabis after they found their way into the hands of children.
Two 13-year-old boys were taken to hospital in Merseyside in July last year after eating sweets, and detectives in Greater Manchester told parents to be on alert during Halloween season trick-or-treating.
The headline and standfirst of this article was amended on 4 April 2022 to clarify that the sweet was believed to be a synthetic cannabinoid.
Woman Dies After Eating Synthetic Cannabinoid Gummies She Ordered Online
A law student died after eating synthetic cannabinoid candies she had delivered to her home, police believe.
British woman Damilola Grace Olakanmi, 23, and her 21-year-old American friend both fell ill after each consuming just one of the ‘gummy’ candies at Olakanmi’s house in Ilford, London.
The pair ate the gummies at around 11:30 p.m. on April 29, and both were hospitalized, with an air ambulance flying Olakanmi to a hospital in nearby Romford, Essex.
Two women were hospitalized in London when they fell ill after eating synthetic cannabinoid candy, with one of the pair later dying. Pictured: An ambulance at an accident and emergency department at a hospital in Bradford, U.K. Getty Images
London’s Metropolitan Police said they are investigating whether the death may be linked to another case in March, which saw a woman rushed to hospital after eating a similar product in the London borough of Tower Hamlets.
Detectives are seeking to discover whether the two incidents were caused by the same batch of candy.
Olakanmi had bought the “Trrlli Peachie O” branded candy through a cellphone messaging app and they were later delivered to her home. Her American friend, a student visiting the UK, has now been discharged from the hospital.
Olakanmi’s mother Wumi Olakanmi reportedly kept a vigil by her daughter’s bedside until her death on Saturday.
One of the family’s relatives, Richard Taylor spoke to the Evening Standard and said: “Wumi has lost her only child—she has nothing now.
“They had to hold her up because she broke down every time a friend came to the house to give support.
“It’s a tragic warning to all young people about how they live their lives. They should resist drugs.
“Damilola was a promising young woman who should be looking forward to her future and having children of her own. She was studying law.”
Another relative, named only as Dunni, added Olakanmi was “very kind and loved looking after children and wanted to please everyone.”
Officers have warned against eating drug-laced candy and said a number of gummies have been recovered and are being tested.
Chief Superintendent Stuart Bell, of the Met’s East Area Basic Command Unit, said: “I must warn the public against taking any illegal substances, including those packaged in the form of cannabis candies.
- Marijuana Decriminalization Bill Passes House, Heads to Senate
- Marijuana Sales Drop Drastically as U.S. Eases Back Pandemic Rules
- Drugs Found in Late Foo Fighters Drummer Taylor Hawkins’ Body Explained
“Please do not buy or consume these products. They are illegal and, because of the child-friendly packaging, they can pose a risk of accidental consumption.
“The particular batch of [candies] were contained in packaging featuring Trrlli Peachie O’s branding. It has not been confirmed at this stage where the [candies] were manufactured.
“Drug dealers harm communities and risk the safety of individuals. We will take positive action to target those engaged in this activity as well as those found in possession of these substances.”
Police arrested a man on Friday in connection with the incident. They said he had a large quantity of cash on him and what were believed to be edible cannabis products. He was later charged with a number of suspected offenses, including possession with intent to supply Class B synthetic cannabinoid, being concerned in the supply of a synthetic cannabinoid, and possession with intent to supply a psychoactive substance.
A post-mortem examination will be arranged in order to confirm Olakanmi’s cause of death, the Met said.
Correction, 4/6/22, 8:00 a.m. ET: This article has been updated to indicate that the items consumed contained synthetic cannabinoids, and not “marijuana.”