Want to try CBD oil, but not sure how much is too much? We have your guide (and a handy CBD dosage calculator) to help you figure out what is right for you. UPDATED March 2, 2021 – Ready to reap the benefits of CBD? Awesome. One of the things that is most important to understand how much CBD you should be taking and what a suggested dose is based on. Much of this is dependent on our individual bodies and there is not an official serving size, in this post we cover some dos Reading a CBD product label can sometimes feel like reading a maths paper. With percentages, milligrams and millilitres in play, CBD strength is easily misunderstood. We break down the numbers so you can better understand what’s in each CBD product and how to make an informed choice. When we talk about strength of a CB
CBD Dosage Calculator: How Much CBD Should You Take
You’ve heard us talk about all of the great benefits CBD has to offer. Whether it’s chronic pain, anxiety, depression, sleep disorders, or other afflictions, many people are now turning to CBD products to relieve symptoms of their ailments. And better still, cannabis has started to become legal in many states (and all of Canada!), which means the government is listening to medical experts and is seeing the value and benefits of cannabis – including CBD.
But how much CBD is right for you? Is there such a thing as “too much” CBD? What happens if you take too much? While we aren’t medical experts, we can help answer some of these questions and provide you with a tool to get you started, even if you’re new to cannabis. If you have a medical prescription, remember to always follow your doctor’s recommended CBD dosage.
How Can I Find Out How Much CBD I Should Be Taking?
The right amount of CBD for you depends on a variety of factors. These factors include your weight, your age, the condition you’re looking to treat, the potency of the oil you’re using, your unique body chemistry, your tolerance to CBD, and more.
The best way to carefully discover the right dosage for you, is to start low, and increase until you feel the effects you’re looking to feel. Start with a very low dose, like 2 mg, and then increase it by 2-5 mg per dose until you feel the desired effects.
This calculator can help you find the approximate dose that may be right for you. It takes body weight and desired strength into consideration, which are key factors in determining a healthy dosage. Keep in mind that these suggested dosages are estimates. If you’ve never used CBD before, do not begin with the higher strength CBD dosage recommendation. Again, start low and grow the amount depending on how you feel.
Potency of the CBD oil you’re using is a huge factor in determining how much oil you should be taking. To determine the potency of the CBD oil you have, you need to take into account the bottle size in mL (ex. 30 ml), and the amount of CBD listed on the bottle (ex. 600 mg). The CBD in mg divided by the size of the bottle will give you your CBD potency in mg/ml. (Ex. 600 mg ÷ 30 ml = 20mg/ml). When you’ve worked out how potent the oil is, you can determine how much you need to get a specific dose. For example, if you want a dose of 20 mg CBD, take 1 ml of oil. If you want 10 mg, take half a dropper, and so on.
What Happens if I Take Too Much CBD?
While CBD is generally safe, there is a reason we’re telling you to start with a low dosage if you’ve never tried it before. Taking too much CBD for your body can result in five typical side effects: low blood pressure, dry mouth, diarrhea, loss of appetite, and tiredness. While these effects are short-term and only last while the CBD is in your system, it’s best to avoid them by taking it easy, and taking the time to work up to the dosage that’s right for you.
Try our Fusion CBD oils and find the one that’s right for you! We’re also here if you have any questions about our oils.
CBD DOSING GUIDE – How Much Should I Take? [UPDATED]
UPDATED March 2, 2021 – Ready to reap the benefits of CBD? Awesome. One of the things that is most important to understand how much CBD you should be taking and what a suggested dose is based on. Much of this is dependent on our individual bodies and there is not an official serving size, in this post we cover some dosing guidelines and suggestions to assist you. As you might guess, much of this is a function of our individual weight and metabolism and body chemistry. Dive in and see what is best for you so you can get the most out of your C+L supplements and improve your personal preparation, performance + recovery.
Let’s start by addressing some common misconceptions about CBD. First off: you can’t get “high” using CBD. In order to be legal for sale in the US, CBD can’t contain more than 0.3% concentration of THC, the psychoactive compound responsible for the sensation of “getting high”. In simple terms: virtually no amount of CBD could be consumed to trigger the psychoactive effects commonly associated with THC. Put another way, there’s small amounts of alcohol in toothpaste, but you’re never going to get drunk by swallowing tubes of Colgate. That said, it is important to figure out the right dosage for your needs.
How Much CBD Should I Take?
Dialling in the correct dosage for your body is an important part of getting the most out of your CBD supplements. Once you’ve found the right dosage you’re not only going to get the most benefits from your supplements and feel great, but you’re also going to guard against wasting money by using excess product.
As a baseline, our suggested dosage is 0.25mg CBD multiplied by your body weight in pounds on a daily basis. Therefore, a 120 pound person should take 30mg CBD daily (0.25 x 120 = 30), and a 200 pound person should take 50mg CBD daily (0.25 x 200 = 50). Ideally, split your doses equally between morning and evening. With this formula you can now easily figure out your suggested dose.
That said, there is no ‘official serving size’ or standard dose’ and it varies from person to person. Your ideal dosage will be based on a variety of factors including your weight, metabolism, the type of product you’re using (tincture, softgel, topical), and body type. For the best potential for success, we recommend some experimentation and consistent usage to determine the right dosage for you. It can take 2-3 weeks to determine the proper dosage, but once you witness CBD’s effects on your body you’ll be in a better position to decide how much to take and when to take it, so be patient and take your time.
- Tinctures – taking the correct amount of tincture can be confusing, so we are going explain it in detail. This is going to be easy using the information from the formula we introduced above. First, you need to be mindful of which strength of tincture that you purchased, 500 or 1000mg. Remember, our examples are based-on only using tinctures, so adjust accordingly if you are also using softgels, oral spray or topicals.
- Now, if you purchased a 500mg Tincture, the full bottle will contain ~600 drops worth of tincture and each drop will contain approximately 0.8mg of CBD. Now, if you recall from reading above, we suggest a dose of 0.25mg multiplied by your bodyweight in pounds. For example, if you are 120 pounds you should be taking 30mg CBD per day for best results. Here is our formula 0.25 x 120 = 30mg, and now to convert that into drops, we take 30mg and divide that by the 0.8mg per drop and you get ~35 drops (experiment with between 30-40 drops and see what works best for you). For a 200 pound person, our formula suggests a does of ~60 drops per day (experiment between 60-70 drops per day and see what is optimal).
- Let’s run through this same exercise using our 1000mg tincture bottle which also contains ~600 drops of CBD oil. It is important to note that since this product is 2x the concentration that each drop now contains ~1.6mg of CBD. For the same 120 pound person that we used as an example above, you would now take ~15 drops per day (experiment with between 15-25 drops per day to see what is optima)l. For the 200 pound person, they would take ~30 drops per day (experiment with between 25-35 drops per day and see what works best for your body). Check out our PREPARE Tincture for your morning routine or RECOVER Tincture in the evening or 60 minutes before bed.
In order to figure out the right dosage for you, here are some basic steps to start with:
- Start Small – We recommend starting with smaller doses and gradually increasing as needed. Although too much CBD won’t cause any harm, taking more than you need could waste product unnecessarily. If you’re a tincture user, start with 1/2 of our suggested dose for the first week of your PREPARE Tincture in the morning or one dosage of RECOVER Tincture in the evening 60 minutes prior to bedtime.
- Take Daily – Everyone’s body is different when it comes to CBD. Many people need to build up the substance in their system in order to start seeing benefits. If you don’t see results right away, keep up your daily doses for four weeks, paying close attention to the changes you sense in your body.
Once you’ve figured out your ideal CBD dose you’ll be able to feel confident as you start maximizing the positive benefits of your CBD routine and enjoy the effects it has on your personal preparation, performance and recovery.
HOW TO UNDERSTAND CBD STRENGTH AND PRICE
Reading a CBD product label can sometimes feel like reading a maths paper. With percentages, milligrams and millilitres in play, CBD strength is easily misunderstood. We break down the numbers so you can better understand what’s in each CBD product and how to make an informed choice.
When we talk about strength of a CBD product, it’s about understanding how much Cannabidiol is included per volume. Determining strength can be a bit tricky and some product labels don’t make it easy to know exactly how strong a product is, or how potent a dose it provides.
When the CBD category first launched, CBD concentration was often shown in percentages, however the number of milligrams (mg) is the more important metric and typically refers to the total amount of cannabinoids in the product.
While there are many things to consider when purchasing CBD oil, understanding the strength of a product is important to be able to properly consider the price of a product as well as its efficacy, as you explore a CBD regime that works for you and your body.
CBD STRENGTH DECODED
Let’s say you’re looking at two bottles of CBD oil oral drops. One is a 10ml bottle which has 1000mg of CBD stated on the label, and the other is a 20ml bottle that is also stated as 1000mg.
Whilst both bottles contain the same overall amount of cannabinoids (1000mg), the bottles are two different strengths. In percentage terms, the 10ml bottle of CBD oil is 10% CBD and the 20ml bottle is 5% CBD, meaning that it will have half the amount of CBD per drop.
Understanding the strength per drop is helpful as this is how you will measure your dose:
- A 10ml bottle is equal to 200 drops so to calculate the mg per drop you divide the total CBD mg by number of drops.
- 1000mg / 200 drops (10ml) = 5mg CBD per drop.
- For the 20ml bottle you have 400 drops which means that each drop is equal to 2.5mg of CBD (the same amount of CBD has been diluted into a larger volume of carrier oil, so each drop contains less).
- The 10ml bottle is twice as strong, so you would need double the number of drops of the 20ml product to achieve the same dose.
We’ll chat CBD drops dosage in a separate story but recommendations on how many drops to take are included on each of our product pages and the FSA recently issued guidance of 70mg CBD max per day (approx. 28 drops of 5% CBD).
THE VALUE EQUATION
When comparing the price of products, you essentially want to know the price you are paying for each milligram of CBD, not the price per overall liquid amount. You should always follow a simple calculation when comparing different CBD products to get a true reflection of what you’re paying for. To get the ‘price per milligram of CBD’, simply divide the price by the amount of CBD mg:
DIVIDED BY CBD MG
= PRICE PER MG OF CBD
30ml CBD oil drops with 3000mg of CBD @ £140
0.05p per mg of CBD
30ml CBD oil drops with 600mg of CBD @£80
0.13p per mg of CBD
Bottle 1 may look more expensive to buy, but as the potency is higher, you have more CBD per drop and therefore a higher efficacy so you can use less drops of CBD oil for the same effect. With bottle 2 you’re actually paying double the price, even though it looks the opposite at first glance.
WHERE TO GET THE BEST QUALITY CBD
It can be confusing to know what CBD is good quality and what the strength of each bottle is. We recommend judging the strength of the CBD in mg and not percentage (%) – this is because when you purchase CBD, you are purchasing the amount of mg in a bottle. The difference with percentage is that you can have two 500mg bottles, for example, one in 30ml and one in 10ml – the amount of CBD in 10ml is the same as the 30ml but the 10ml has a 3x higher percentage. Yet, you are still only buying 500mg.
We have made it very easy to know the strength of the CBD you are purchasing by clearly displaying the number of mg in a bottle, not only that but our DAY DROPS are some of the strongest CBD oil drops in the UK.
DAY DROPS (500-6000mg)
From 0.05p per mg
Always read the ingredients label on CBD drops to check how the CBD is listed. Sometimes the % or mg of CBD listed within a product isn’t the pure CBD amount – it can refer to what is called a ‘CBD ingredient’ which itself could be a blend of CBD with another carrier i.e., a diluted down concentration of CBD.
Finding the right CBD products for you can feel overwhelming but don’t let the numbers deter you from jumping in and experiencing the restorative power of CBD oil. At APOTHEM we try and keep it as simple as possible. We only use 100% CBD isolate – the purest form of CBD available – stated in milligrams. We independently triple test each batch to ensure that the amount of CBD is accurate and that each batch of raw ingredient is 100% pure CBD isolate. This means, we can trust exactly what goes into each product, and so can you.
If you’re ever unsure and need a little help or personal recommendation, drop us a line at [email protected]
Explore our CBD for SLEEP , CBD for CALM , and CBD for RECOVERY collections now. First-time purchasers can save 15% with code WELCOME15 or shop our biggest sale ever now.