You can expect high potential cannabis from good quality seeds whether they are autoflower seeds or feminized seeds. However, feminised seeds are being preferred more and more by growers for indoor cultivation due to its ability to produce only female plants thereby making it a simple cultivation process. Feminized cannabis seeds are genetically altered so that they produce female plants in at least 99,9% of the cases. Feminized marijuana seeds are produced in a way to make sure all the resulting plants are female (since only female marijuana plants make buds).
Advantages Of Feminised Seeds vs. Autoflowering Seeds For Indoor Cultivation
When cultivating cannabis indoors, considering every aspect, what would be the better option for the grower?
Indoor cultivation of cannabis is growing in popularity mainly due to its ability to produce high quality weed strains in a number of varieties. This is because the cultivation is done by the grower in an indoor growing area where he can monitor the plants carefully and ensure that they reach their maximum potential. It allows growers to have complete control over the cultivation process, acquire full knowledge of the quality of the product and work in the comfort and security of their own property.
While there are a wide variety of seeds available, the most popular ones are feminized and autoflower seeds. Here is a detailed summary of the two:
Feminized seeds refer to cannabis seeds that are specially bred to eliminate male chromosomes so as to produce only female plants. They are also referred to as “female seeds.” Most growers are looking for cannabis buds, which they can smoke, that are present only in the female plants. The feminine cannabis plant produces considerably more working substances such as THC and CBD as compared to the male cannabis plant. While the parent plant could be considered genetically modified, the seeds themselves are completely natural as they are produced naturally through pollination.
Advantages Of Feminized Seeds
- Cultivation of feminized seeds ensures that there are only female plants in your garden which allows fast and simple cultivation of the cannabis plant. It eliminates the unnecessary work of pruning and maintaining male plants that ultimately has to be discarded.
- By making sure that only female plants are produced, feminized seeds ensure that each and every plant is producing cannabis. This ensures higher yield as the available growing space is used in the most productive way possible by eliminating the growth of male cannabis plants.
- Feminized seeds are as good as regular seeds to make mother plants. Moreover, there is uniformity in the products even when production is carried out on a large scale.
- The quality of the feminized seeds can be judged from the number of hermaphroditic plants it produces. Feminized seeds from a reputable breeder are almost 100% free from hermaphrodites.
Autoflowering seeds refer to the seeds that are produced naturally by the cannabis plant through its normal germination. They provide an easy and rewarding yield of high quality cannabis. These seeds produce plants that will change to flowering automatically without the need for change in the light cycle or removal of males. This is good for first time cannabis growers, who do not know how to adjust light cycles. In other words, autoflowering seeds don’t require the same level of complexity of care as the other cannabis seeds in order to yield a bountiful harvest.
Advantages Of Autoflower Seeds
- Autoflowering seeds yield low height plants that require less maintenance making it suitable for growers who carry out cultivation in less than ideal growing conditions, with limited space or for legal growth that carries a plant height limit.
- Autoflowering seeds enable to produce extremely fast, easy to grow cannabis plants with excellent resistance to temperature fluctuations. People that have used autoflowering cannabis seeds have reported that their harvest comes sooner, sometimes two harvests in one summer!
- These seeds are resilient and are capable of resisting mold, pests, and frost because of which they can be grown virtually anywhere almost all through the year as long as it doesn’t become too cold. This ensures reliable, timely crop everytime.
- While THC levels are quite low; CBD content in autoflower strains is quite high, making them a perfect option for medical users. CBD causes the effects of marijuana to be less intense and milder thus eliminating the psychoactive properties of THC.
Which Is Better?
You can expect high potential cannabis from good quality seeds whether they are autoflower seeds or feminized seeds. However, with passing time and experimentation, feminised seeds are being preferred more and more by growers for indoor cultivation due to its ability to produce only female plants thereby making it a simple cultivation process.
Moreover, these days most of the autoflower seeds are feminized rather than regular because although autoflower provides 100% flowering, it cannot be cloned. This means that that you have to buy new seeds every time for growing. On the other hand, in feminized cannabis seeds, you may only buy one seed and you can get as many plants from it depending on your choice since feminized seeds can actually be cloned.
What Are Feminized Cannabis Seeds?
Feminized cannabis seeds are genetically altered so that they produce only female plants in at least 99,9% of the cases. This forms a great advantage as only female cannabis plants produce flowers or buds. The male cannabis plants don’t produce flowers but only pollen, contain little THC and can even influence the production of THC of female plants.
The female cannabis plant produces considerably more working substances or cannabinoids such as THC, CBD, CBG and CBN and terenes than a male cannabis plant. Suzy Seeds only sells feminized cannabis seeds. Before bringing the seeds on the market, they are first thoroughly tested in a lab and further cultivated, so that we are sure that our seeds are genetically stable and consistent.
Suzy’s Tip: You can only smoke the flowers of female plants, so only buy feminised seeds.
Then you are (almost entirely) sure that you are only cultivating female plants. The gender of the plant is determined by two chromosomes, namely the X and Y chromosome. A plant with two X chromosomes becomes feminine or female and a plant with an X and Y chromosome becomes male. How are Feminized seeds produced? Feminized cannabis seeds are made by means of gibberellic acid (a hormone found in plants). Because of this, the female plant is forced to produce male flowers. The female plant becomes hermaphrodite and this makes it possible to produce seeds that have two x chromosomes and are thus female.
What Are “Feminized” Cannabis Seeds?
Feminized cannabis seeds are produced in a way to make sure that all the resulting plants are female (since only female cannabis plants make buds).
“Regular” (or non-feminized) seeds will produce about half male, and half female plants.
Having male plants can be an asset to a breeding program, but having to watch over and throw away half the plants can be a waste of time and space for growers who just want to grow their own supply of bud!
By starting your grow with feminized cannabis seeds from a reputable breeder, you can stop worrying about plant gender altogether, and know that every single one of your plants is going to be female and make buds!
Seed Supreme is a trustworthy source of feminized cannabis seeds (it’s the company I use for seeds)
Pros of Feminized Seeds
- All plants end up producing buds
- Less wasted space on plants that need to be thrown away
- Don’t need to watch plants closely to make sure you remove males
- No chance of pollination without pollen sacs, so no seedy buds
Cons of Feminized Seeds
- In order to build a robust breeding program and create new strains, you should start with regular seeds so you have both male and female plants
- It’s possible to buy feminized seeds from bad breeders which turn into problematic hermies (mixed sex plants) or even just end up being half male plants like regular seeds. That’s why it’s important to order seeds from a trustworthy breeder!
Since I started growing cannabis nearly a decade ago, I’ve only grown with feminized seeds! I’ve never had a single plant that didn’t grow buds!
Non-Feminized Seeds Produce Half Male, Half Female Plants
(learn more more about cannabis plant sex)
Feminized Seeds Only Produce Female Plants
How Do Breeders Make Feminized Seeds?
The way breeders create feminized seeds is they breed two female cannabis plants together, which means that all the resulting offspring will be female. This is done by spraying developing flowers with a substance that changes flower development (often colloidal silver or gibberellic acid). This process is used to force one of the female plants to start producing pollen sacs just like a male plant.
By harvesting the pollen sacs and using the “female” pollen to pollinate buds of a different female plant, you are giving the resulting seeds only female genes (there is no “father”), so none of the seedlings end up being male.